Editorial Independence Policy
Bay Journal Media retains full authority over editorial content to protect the journalistic and business interests of our organization.
Our news judgments are made independently and not on the basis of donor support. We do not give supporters the right to assign, review or edit content. If we accept donations to support the coverage of general topics, we maintain complete editorial control of the specifics of the coverage. We will cede no right of review or influence of editorial content.
Acceptance of financial support does not constitute implied or actual endorsement of donors or their products, services or opinions.
Gift Acceptance Policy
Bay Journal Media accepts gifts, grants and sponsorships from individuals and organizations for the general support of our activities. These gifts support our work but do not compromise the independence of our journalism.
- Unrestricted grants and donations are preferred.
- Grantmakers and donors may make gifts to support general categories of environmental journalism, such as coverage for a particular topic or geographic area.
- Grantmakers and donors have no power to select, guide, review or revise Bay Journal news articles; editorial decisions are the sole responsibility of Bay Journal Media.
- Grants and donations that support specific topics or geographic areas will only be accepted if editorial leadership deems the proposed coverage to be in line with existing journalistic needs and the organization’s mission.
- Grants and donations will be declined if the donor expectations are considered overreach into the journalism process and ethics of Bay Journal Media.
We list all donors in the Bay Journal print edition and major donors on our web site. We accept anonymous donations for general support only if it is clear that the expenditure of that donation is made independently by our organization.
Bay Journal Media reserves the right to accept or decline any advertisement or sponsorship it is offered. We do not accept political advertising. We do not accept advertising that we know or believe to be misleading, inaccurate, fraudulent or illegal; that fails to comply with our organization’s standards of decency, taste or dignity; or attempts to blur the distinction between news and advertising. Bay Journal Media does not necessarily endorse the products or messages of our advertisers.