The Susquehanna River Basin Commission offers the following tips on how to conserve water year round, and especially during drought conditions.
- DO NOT water lawns. Only water recently seeded or planted landscapes or year-old vegetation.
- Limit vehicle-washing activities. If you must wash a vehicle, use a bucket instead of a hose and go to car washes that re-use the water.
- Take short showers instead of baths. Collect water in a bucket while waiting for the shower to warm up. Consider bathing children together.
- Don’t run water while shaving, brushing teeth or washing dishes by hand.
- Run dishwasher and washing machines only when filled to capacity.
- Inspect and repair all leaking faucets, pipes, hoses and toilets.
- Install new shower heads and sink faucets equipped with water-saving devices, such as aerators or spray taps, or retrofit existing showers and faucets with these devices.
- Replace older toilets that use more water with new, low-consumption toilets. For older toilets requiring five to six gallons per flush, place a water-filled bottle inside the toilet’s tank to use less water.
- Refrigerate tap water to avoid running the faucet for a long period to get cold water.
- Sweep sidewalks and driveways — don’t hose them down.
- Select more drought-tolerant vegetation and plant species for landscaping, and use mulches to retain moisture.
- Direct downspouts or gutters toward shrubbery or trees, and/or collect the water in a large bucket for use elsewhere (non-potable water).
- Cover pools and spas when they are unoccupied to reduce evaporation.
Golf Courses & Agricultural Operations Using Irrigation Systems
- Reduce the level of irrigation and/or alter the time pattern to the coolest parts of the day when it is not windy to reduce water loss through evaporation.
- Inspect irrigation equipment for leaks and repair all faulty piping.
- Install best available water conservation technology.
- Inspect plumbing fixtures for leaks and repair all faulty piping.
- Install water-conserving devices, and update outdated plumbing fixtures.
- Implement a water reuse program if one is not already not in use.