Atlantic sturgeon, a species that swam with dinosaurs, is one of the Chesapeake Bay's most interesting species. Here are 10 words or phrases that have something to do with Atlantic sturgeon. Can you match them up to their definitions?
CRUSTACEANS, WORMS, MOLLUSKS & INSECT LARVAE
1. Although some live to be much older, the average that Atlantic sturgeon lives to be somewhere around this age.
2. An adult Atlantic sturgeon can grow this long, in feet.
3. An adult Atlantic sturgeon can weigh this much, in pounds.
4. The Atlantic sturgeon does not have scales like most fish. Instead, it is covered with five rows of these bony plates.
5. These fleshy whiskers at the end of the sturgeon's mouth are studded with taste buds to help it find food.
6. This is a term used to describe fish that are born in freshwater, but spend most of their lives in saltwater. They return to freshwater to mate and lay eggs.
7. This is what an Atlantic sturgeon eats.
8. This is Latin and is the species name for Atlantic sturgeon. It means "sharp snout."
9. This is the fancy name for the roe (eggs) of the Atlantic sturgeon. It is a delicacy and is one of the reasons that the fish was overharvested.
10. This is a word that describes when a plant or animal is extinct in a particular place where it was once found. It is still found in other areas.
3. Eight Hundred
7. Crustaceans, worms, mollusks & insect larvae