“Look” at the animal, plant or mineral in each of these lists. Three share a common trait that the fourth does not. Can you figure out which one stands out from the rest, as well as what the other three have in common? Answers are below.
1. Chicory flowers, horseshoe crab’s blood, kyanite crystals, northern cardinal feathers
2. Dandelion petals, Delmarva fox squirrel, eastern tiger swallowtail, tip of a young copperhead’s tail
3. Baltimore oriole, corn snake, monarch butterfly, marbled salamander
4. Calcite, ripe poison ivy berry, trout lily, wood from a holly
5. Robin eggs, bullfrog, luna moth, serpentine
6. Scarlet tanager, northern puffer, cooked blue crab shell, beebalm
7. Tip of gray fox’s tail, bear, cattle egret, dead man’s fingers fungus
8. Monkshood, amethyst, purple martin, raccoon
1. Northern cardinal feathers. The others are blue.
2. Delmarva fox squirrel. The others are yellow or mostly yellow.
3. Marbled salamander. The others are orange or mostly orange.
4. Trout lily. The others are white or mostly white.
5. Robin eggs. The others are green.
6. Northern puffer. The others are red.
7. Cattle egret. The others are black
8. Raccoon. The others are purple.