March 20 is the first day of spring in the Chesapeake region this year. Use this list of words to fill in the blanks of these spring facts.
1. During the spring _______, the daylight and night are almost 12 hours long. The days will continue to get longer at this point.
2. In the last few decades, the signs of spring are taking place earlier and earlier. This is known as spring _______.
3. Spring begins on September 1 in .
4. In_______, the first day of spring is declared after the average daily temperature is greater than zero degrees Celsius more than seven days in a row. The first day of spring varies from region to region in this country depending on elevation and latitude.
5._______ pools are short-lived bodies of water usually created by winter snowmelt or spring rains. They are safe places for salamanders, frogs and toads to lay their eggs without fear of their being eaten by fish, which cannot survive in these temporary ponds.
6. Any spring wildflower that must quickly bloom before trees grow leaves that prevent the sun from reaching it is sometimes called an_______.
7._______is the first Sunday after the first full moon after spring begins.
8. The Earth’s _______ tilts toward the Sun in spring.
9._______, which is often associated with spring, was first celebrated April 10, 1872, in Nebraska. Now it is celebrated in all 50 states, usually on the last Friday in April.
10. True or False? Severe weather is most likely to occur in spring.
9. Arbor Day