Use the words in the list below to fill in the blanks in these sentences about tree leaves.
1. The long, thin leaves of pines and other evergreens are called__________.
2. When a single leaf’s shape is deeply divided, the parts of the leaf that stick out are called _________. The space between these parts is called a sinus.
3. A _______ is the name given to a very young leaf that has yet to develop.
4. The leaves, along with the branches and twigs, at the top of a tree are collectively called the tree’s ________.
5. In some trees, the ___________ is a scale or pair of scales found where the leafstalk is attached to the tree.
6. ________ trees are those that drop their leaves within a short time and are leafless for part of the year.
7. The chemical ___________ is what makes a leaf green. In the fall, when the tree no longer makes this chemical, the leaf’s true color appears.
8. The black walnut has a ___________. Each leaf consists of completely separate parts.
9. The wide, flat part of a leaf is called a ___________.
10. The individual parts of a compound leaf are called _____________.
1. Needle 2. Lobes 3. Bud 4. Crown 5. Stipule 6. Deciduous 7. Chlorophyll 8. Compound Leaf 9. Blade 10. Leaflets