By now, most students are back in school. Here are some weird and wacky facts to add to the more serious learning taking place in class. Match the tree or animal to its description.
1. When Capt. John Smith was exploring the Chesapeake in the 1600s, he noted that this animal was the size of a man’s foot and could feed a family of four.
2. This animal doesn’t really like cheese, but will eat it if it is hungry and there is nothing better around.
3. A human eye has one lens. This animal’s eye has 4,000 lenses.
4. This tree is more likely to be struck by lightning than any other tree
5. This animal tastes its food with its feet.
6. This animal was sent into space in 1998 to study the effects of microgravity on the development of its inner ear organs, which play a role in an animal’s sense of balance.
7. This animal can fly backward and upside down or hover.
8. This animal would rather bite a child than an adult.
9. This tree is least likely to be struck by lightning than any other tree.
1. Eastern Oyster
3. House Fly
4. White Oak
6. Oyster Toadfish
7. Ruby-throated Hummingbird