Here is a quiz about colors in the animal world. Will you pass it with flying colors? Answers are below.
1. A common myth is that animals can only see in black and white. Apes, and many fish, insects and birds see colors very well. Which of these animals also has well-developed color vision?
B. Ground squirrels
2. Some of the mammals that can’t see color or see color very poorly tend to see very well under what condition?
A. Bright light
B. Dim light
C. Rainy weather
3. Some animals can see even more colors than humans. The vision of which of these animals extends into the ultraviolet spectrum?
D. A & B
4. Despite its name, a horseshoe crab is more closely related to spiders than crabs. It should come as no surprise that the blood of horseshoe crabs and spiders is the same color. What is it?
5. It’s the Thanksgiving season, so let’s talk turkey. When a turkey gets annoyed, its snood, wattle and caruncle, the fleshy flaps around its beak/head, chine and throat, respectively, change color. What color do they turn?
ANSWERS: 1. B 2. B 3. D 4. A 5. D