Nuts About Squirrels
How much do you know about the Chesapeake Bay watershed’s squirrels? Match up the squirrels with the descriptions below.
B. Gray Squirrel
C. Red Squirrel
D. Southern Flying Squirrel
1. Which of these is the only nocturnal squirrel?
2. Which is the smallest of these squirrels?
3. Which is the largest of these squirrels?
4. Which of these squirrels is the most carnivorous?
5. It is often easy to tell which squirrel has been raiding the cornfield by examining the remains of the corn. Which squirrel bites the kernels from the cob, eats only the germ and leaves the rest behind?
6. Which squirrel removes the entire cob from the corn plant and hauls it to another area, where it eats most of it, leaving behind only bits of husk and cob?
7.Which squirrel relies most heavily on pine seeds in its diet?
8. This squirrel tends to have favorite feeding perches, and leaves piles of nutshells on the ground below.
9. Although this squirrel does not remember where it buries its nuts, it is able to smell them under a foot of snow and will tunnel under deeper snow to get pick up the scent.
10. Which two of these squirrels are most likely to be hunted for their meat?
11.There are historical accounts of migrations when thousands of these squirrels would move through the woods at a time.
12. Which of these is also known as the “chickaree” in some areas?
1-D, 2-D, 3-A, 4-D, 5-B, 6-A, 7-C, 8-A, 9-B, 10-A&B, 11-B, 12-C
Comments are now closed for this article. Comments are accepted for 60 after publication.