Chesapeake Bay Retriever
Once called the Chesapeake Bay ducking dog, today’s Chesapeake Bay retriever has expanded its reputation and is noted for its intelligence and skills in field trials, hunt tests, conformation, obedience, agility and tracking, as well as being a protective family pet. How much do you know about this breed, which is also known as a Chessie or CBR?
1. In 1807, George Law rescued a male and a female dog from a ship foundering in a gale off the Maryland coast and gave each to a separate owner. These dogs and their offspring were bred with local retrievers, spaniels and hounds until a new breed, the Chesapeake Bay retriever, emerged. What breed of dog were these two ancestors of the CBR?
2. The CBR is an excellent swimmer, owing in part to its especially strong hindquarters. What other physical feature(s) make(s) the dog a strong swimmer?
A. Two coats of fur that trap buoyant air bubbles.
B. Webbed toes
C. It aerodynamic shape
D. Both A & C
3. As a rule, Chesapeake Bay retrievers are one of three basic colors (with a bit of white on the breast, belly or feet). Which of these is not a standard color?
A. Shades of brown
B. Shades of gray
C. Shade of red
D. Shades of tan/yellow
4. The CBR’s thick, wavy coat is short, but owners must brush and maintain it regularly because both the outercoat and undercoat contain oils. How do these oils help the breed?
A. They repel fleas and ticks.
B. They prevent snarls in the fur.
C. They help waterproof the dog.
D. They help to prevent sunburn.
5. The Chesapeake Bay retriever’s eyes are:
A. Clear blue
B. Brownish red
C. Greenish brown
D. Yellowish amber
6. One reason the CBR is prized for duck hunting is its ability to break apart ice while diving into chilly water to retrieve waterfowl. What part of the body does the dog use to do this?
A. Its large jaws
B. It powerful chest
C. Its massive paws
D. Its pointed nose
7. The Chesapeake Bay Retriever is the mascot of which University
A. University of Maryland - Baltimore County.
B. University of Pennsylvania - York
C. Virginia Commonwealth University - Richmond
D. All of the above
8. Which of these owned a Chesapeake Bay Retriever?
A. Gen. George Armstrong Custer
B. President Theodore Roosevelt
C. Actor Paul Walker
D. All of the above