- Comments are closed for this article.
This is the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812 and the 150th anniversary of the U.S. Civil War. Here is a list of six famous, or important battles that took place in these wars (three from each war). Can you match the battle with its description? Answers are on page 20.
Assault on Craney Island, VA
Battle of Bladensburg
Battle of Hampton Roads
Battle of St. Michaels, MD
1. This is the first time that two ironclad ships met in battle: the North's USS Monitor and the South's Virginia (rebuilt from the salvaged frigate Merrimack). The battle ended indecisively.
2. This was the largest battle of the U.S. Civil War.
3. This Civil War conflict was the bloodiest single-day battle fought in the United States.
4. 360 U.S. sailors and 120 U.S. Marines fought bravely against a much larger British army here but lost. The British went on to Washington, DC, where they burned the Capitol and the White House.
5. This victory for the United States in the War of 1812 prevented the British from invading Norfolk, VA.
6. Legend has it that the citizens of this town were warned of a British pre-dawn attack. They put out all of the lights in the town and hung lanterns in the trees beyond the town. The British were tricked into aiming their cannons at the trees instead of the town.
1. Battle of Hampton Roads
4. Battle of Bladensburg
5. Assault on Craney Island, VA
6. Battle of St. Michaels, MD
By submitting a comment, you are consenting to these Rules of Conduct. Thank you for your civil participation. Please note: reader comments do not represent the position of Chesapeake Media Service.
Comments are now closed for this article. Comments are accepted for 60 days after publication.