The American goldfinch is found throughout the watershed, and is one of the most easily identified songbirds. Can you identify these scrambled words about the American goldfinch? Each word (or words) has a clue to help you. Answers are on page 20.
1. One of the nicknames for the
American goldfinch was inspired by its bright color and beautiful voice. What is it?
L I W D Y A R N C A
2. The American goldfinch is mostly yellow. These two parts of the bird are black (with thin white bars or stripes):
G W I N S
L A I T
3. An American goldfinch will lay 4–5 eggs per brood. They are not yellow. What color are they?
L A P E L U B E
4. The goldfinch is often seen at bird feeders. Its favorite foods are:
S H E L I T T
D E L L E S H S L O W F U N E R D E S E S
5. These are all places where American goldfinches are found:
N O P E F I S L E D
S M A R F
S N A G D E R
E D E W Y A S E A R
S A D D E R I S O
6. These animals eat the goldfinch or its eggs:
A C T
A S K E N
Q U I S L E R R
W H A K
1. Wild Canary
2. Wings, Tail
3. Pale Blue
4. Thistle, Shelled Sunflower Seeds
5. Open Fields, Gardens, Weedy Areas, Roadsides 6. Cat, Snake, Squirrel, Hawk
Comments are now closed for this article. Comments are accepted for 60 after publication.